Code was added correctly Verify settings 600 ISIS Militants Cross to Eastern Syria in Hezbollah Group Contract

600 ISIS Militants Cross to Eastern Syria in Hezbollah Group Contract

600 ISIS Militants Cross to Eastern Syria in Hezbollah Group Contract


600 ISIS Militants Cross to Eastern Syria in Hezbollah Group Contract

A convoy carrying Daesh (ISIS) militants to eastern Syria reportedly resumed its journey Thursday
after being delayed in regime territory yesterday. The development came after the body of an Iranian Revolutionary Guard member was handed over by Daesh to Hezbollah.

U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend, told reporters Thursday that the convoys were on the road again. “When I walked into this conference about an hour ago, the buses were on the move. They had turned and had driven back into regime held areas,” Reuters quoted Townsend as saying from Baghdad.

Citing a commander in the pro-Syrian regime coalition, Reuters said the convoy had embarked on the journey towards the regime controlled town of Sukhna in Homs province in an attempt to reach areas of Daesh held Deir al-Zor province.

The convoy’s final destination is Abukamal, on the Syria-Iraq border. The transfer of the fighters came as part of a deal struck by Hezbollah for fighters to leave the Lebanese border areas. Coming from the border region between Lebanon and Syria, the convoy of buses is carrying over 600 Daesh militants and civilian.

The agreement came in exchange for information on the fate of Lebanese Army soldiers taken hostage by the group in 2014.

Nine servicemen were kidnapped by the group when Daesh, along with the Nusra Front – now known as Jabhat Fatah al-Sham – briefly overran the northeastern border town of Arsal. The deal saw the evacuation of the remaining militants in return for knowing the servicemen’s fate.

Feature: Could Lebanon's ISIS Evacuation Deal Turn Iraqis Against Iran?
Hezbollah, Syria Deal Relocating ISIS Fighters Condemned by US-led Coalition
A Tentative Victory: Iraqi Forces Clear Tal Afar of ISIS

As well as the unscheduled delays in regime areas, the convoy’s journey was further hindered Wednesday when the U.S.-led coalition conducted air strikes to prevent their advancement east.

In a statement issued Wednesday, the coalition confirmed it “cratered the road heading east between Hamimah [in Homs province] and Albukamal [in eastern Syria].” It also confirmed that it “struck individual vehicles and fighters that were clearly identified as [Daesh].”

Coalition spokesman Col. Ryan Dillon told Reuters Thursday that they would continue to strike Daesh militants. The developments came after the Hezbollah-run War Media Center announced the body of IRG member was retrieved.

“The resistance received the body of the martyr from the [IRG] Mohsen Hujaji from the Daesh regime and a DNA test is ongoing before the body is transferred to Damascus and after to Iran,” the WMC said on its Twitter account.

The handover of Mohsen Haji’s body is part of the overall deal and was made after ambulances carrying wounded fighters from Daesh were able to make it to areas controlled by the group in Deir al-Zor, Associated Press reported.

Nasrallah said earlier this week that two other Hezbollah fighters would also be released after Hujaji as the deal progresses. The evacuation agreement drew the ire of many Iraqis, who accused Syria and Hezbollah of dumping the extremists near the Iraqi border.



Share this:

Disqus Comments

Popular Posts